Andrew is a trial lawyer who represents major corporations and individuals in sensitive, high-stakes matters in federal and state courts. Andrew has significant experience inside the courtroom in both federal and state trial courts, including first-chair trial responsibility. He has also managed large discovery teams, deposed key fact and treating physician witnesses, prepared and defended expert witnesses, and drafted successful dispositive motions. Andrew began his career representing criminal defendants at the Wisconsin State Public Defender’s Office, spending most of his days there inside the courtroom. He now focuses primarily on products liability, commercial, and patent litigation.
Rowley v. AbbVie, Inc.
Trial counsel for AbbVie in a MDL bellwether trial where the plaintiff claimed AndroGel caused his deep vein thrombosis. The jury returned a complete defense verdict for AbbVie in June 2018.Sybron Canada Holdings, Inc. et al. v. Gerald A. Niznick et al.
Trial counsel for Danaher Corp. joint venture companies in a breach of contract and fiduciary duty action against the joint ventures’ minority shareholders pending in New York state court’s Commercial Division. After approximately fifty days of deposition testimony and a two-week bench trial, the Court granted complete relief to Danaher and the joint venture companies, ruling that the minority shareholders had engaged in conduct that triggered two contractual buy-out options. The Court also rejected all of the minority shareholders’ counterclaims against Danaher and the joint venture companies from which the shareholders had originally sought over 100 million dollars in damages. Obtained dismissal of two related cases filed in California state court by the minority shareholders.In re K-Dur Antitrust Litigation
Represented Merck in the class action and consolidated opt-out antitrust lawsuits brought by wholesalers and major pharmacy retail chains that directly purchased K-Dur® 20, an extended-release potassium chloride supplement. Plaintiffs claimed that a June 1997 patent settlement with a generic maker of K-Dur® 20 was anticompetitive. The matter settled shortly before trial.Consumer Electronics Litigation
Representing a Fortune 10 consumer electronics company in seven patent-infringement cases brought by a prolific non-practicing entity relating to telecommunications, user-interface, computer security, and battery technologies.Galper v. Merck Sharp & Dohme, Corp.
Represented Merck during a bellwether trial involving the medicine Fosamax®. After a six-week trial in California state court, the jury returned a complete defense verdict for Merck.Fortune 15 Company AAA Arbitrations
Represented a Fortune 15 healthcare company in nearly fifty separate AAA arbitrations involving ERISA and Texas insurance law. Secured a complete dismissal of all arbitrations and recovered attorneys’ fees and costs.Spilker v. Medtronic, Inc.
Represented Medtronic, Inc. in a product liability action concerning Medtronic’s Cryocatheter System medical device.Berg v. Johnson & Johnson, et al.
Represented Imerys Talc America, Inc. in a personal injury case involving ovarian cancer. Court granted summary judgment to Imerys shortly before trial.Confidential AAA Arbitration
Co-tried a commercial arbitration involving breach of contract claims over complex wind turbine generator (WTG) technology. Obtained favorable arbitration award.Gilfand et al. v. Planey et al.
Represented two Chicago police officers during a two-week federal jury trial that involved Section 1983 claims of excessive force and failure to intervene. Jury found clients not liable of all federal claims.State of Wisconsin v. Quaschnik
Lead defense counsel on a felony jury trial in Wisconsin state court. Obtained a complete defense verdict.State of Wisconsin v. Miller
Co-tried a felony jury trial in Wisconsin state court involving criminal drug charges.Government Investigations
- Represented a high-level executive during a non-public criminal and regulatory investigation involving the construction industry.
- Represented a lending institution during a non-public investigation conducted by the IRS and DOJ.
- Represented a healthcare institution during a non-public investigation conducted by the DOJ involving allegations related to the False Claims Act.
- Partner, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
- Associate, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
- Associate, Mayer Brown LLP
- Wisconsin State Public Defenders Office, Trial Division
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Wisconsin Law Review, Managing Editor
- Wisconsin Law School Trial Team, Captain
- National Champion, A.A.J. National Student Trial Advocacy Tournament
- University of Wisconsin – Madison (B.A., high honors)
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Presidential Fellow, Center for the Study of the Presidency
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Selected by Super Lawyers as an Illinois Rising Star (2018, 2020)
- Recognized by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company as an Illinois Emerging Lawyer in commercial litigation, mass tort defense, and personal injury defense (2016, 2017)
- Outstanding Trial Advocacy Award (2010)
- Goldman Ismail Files Lawsuit on Behalf of 3M to Fight COVID-19 Price-Gouging Scams
- Goldman Ismail Secures Complete Defense Jury Verdict in AndroGel Bellwether Trial
- Goldman Ismail Elects to Partnership Rami Fakhouri, Andrew Rima, and Doug Winnard
- Goldman Ismail Wins Bench Trial on behalf of Danaher Corp. Subsidiaries in Commercial Case
- Goldman Ismail Wins Summary Judgment for Imerys Talc
- State of Illinois
- State of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin