Andrew is a trial and litigation lawyer who represents major corporations and individuals in sensitive, high-stakes matters that are disputed in court or arbitration. Andrew began his career representing indigent criminal defendants as a public defender, spending most of his days there inside the courtroom. He then joined Big Law before deciding to take his trial skills to a nimbler, more trial-tested firm: Goldman Ismail. Andrew now concentrates on products liability, contract, and securities cases.
Elliott Management et al. v. AbbVie Inc.
Currently representing AbbVie against several hedge funds that sued in state court over a $54 billion collapsed corporate merger.Castlerigg Master Investments, Ltd. v. AbbVie Inc.
Appellate counsel for AbbVie in a securities fraud case brought by a hedge fund. Andrew successfully briefed and argued the appeal that led to an advancement in the law that limits the type of securities fraud claims in Illinois. Andrew’s oral argument is here (starting at minute 33:00), and the Court’s decision is here.Rowley v. AbbVie Inc.
Trial counsel for AbbVie in an MDL bellwether trial where the plaintiff claimed AndroGel caused his deep vein thrombosis. The jury returned a complete defense verdict for AbbVie in June 2018.Sybron Canada Holdings, Inc. et al. v. Gerald A. Niznick et al.
Trial and litigation counsel for three Danaher Corp. subsidiaries in a breach of contract and fiduciary duty action against minority shareholders pending in New York state court. After approximately fifty days of deposition testimony and a two-week bench trial, the Court granted complete relief to Danaher and our clients. The Court also rejected the minority shareholders’ counterclaims against our clients from which the shareholders had originally sought over $100 million in damages.In re K-Dur Antitrust Litigation
Represented Merck in the class action and consolidated opt-out antitrust lawsuits brought by wholesalers and major pharmacy retail chains that directly purchased K-Dur® 20, an extended-release potassium chloride supplement. Plaintiffs claimed that a June 1997 patent settlement with a generic maker of K-Dur® 20 was anticompetitive. The matter settled shortly before trial.Consumer Electronics Litigation
Represented a Fortune 10 consumer electronics company in seven patent-infringement cases brought by a prolific non-practicing entity relating to telecommunications, user-interface, computer security, and battery technologies.Galper v. Merck Sharp & Dohme, Corp.
Represented Merck during a bellwether trial involving the medicine Fosamax®. After a six-week trial in California state court, the jury returned a complete defense verdict for Merck.Fortune 15 Company AAA Arbitrations
Represented a Fortune 15 healthcare company in nearly fifty separate AAA arbitrations involving ERISA and Texas insurance law. Secured a complete dismissal of all arbitrations and recovered attorneys’ fees and costs.Spilker v. Medtronic, Inc.
Represented Medtronic, Inc. in a product liability action concerning Medtronic’s Cryocatheter System medical device.Berg v. Johnson & Johnson, et al.
Trial counsel for Imerys Talc America, Inc. in a personal injury case involving ovarian cancer. Court granted summary judgment to Imerys shortly before trial.Confidential AAA Arbitration
Co-tried a commercial arbitration involving breach of contract claims over complex wind turbine generator (WTG) technology. Obtained favorable arbitration award.Gilfand et al. v. Planey et al.
Trial counsel for two Chicago police officers during a two-week federal jury trial that involved Section 1983 claims of excessive force and failure to intervene. Jury found clients not liable of all federal claims.State of Wisconsin v. Quaschnik
Lead trial counsel in a felony jury trial in Wisconsin state court. Obtained a complete defense verdict.
- Partner, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
- Associate, Mayer Brown LLP
- Wisconsin State Public Defenders Office, Trial Division
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Wisconsin Law Review, Managing Editor
- Trial Team, Captain (National Champion, A.A.J. National Student Trial Advocacy Tournament)
- Moot Court Team
- University of Wisconsin – Madison (B.A., high honors)
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Presidential Fellow, Center for the Study of the Presidency
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Selected for Benchmark Litigation’s 40 & Under Hot List (2021)
- Selected by Super Lawyers as an Illinois Rising Star (2018-2022)
- Recognized by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company as an Illinois Emerging Lawyer in commercial litigation, mass tort defense, and personal injury defense (2016, 2017)
- Outstanding Trial Advocacy Award (2010)
- Goldman Ismail Helps AbbVie Secure Summary Judgment in Circuit Court of Cook County
- Goldman Ismail Partners Named to Benchmark’s List of Top 250 Women in Litigation and the 40 & Under Hot List
- Goldman Ismail Files Lawsuit on Behalf of 3M to Fight COVID-19 Price-Gouging Scams
- Goldman Ismail Secures Complete Defense Jury Verdict in AndroGel Bellwether Trial
- Goldman Ismail Elects to Partnership Rami Fakhouri, Andrew Rima, and Doug Winnard
- Goldman Ismail Wins Bench Trial on behalf of Danaher Corp. Subsidiaries in Commercial Case
- Goldman Ismail Wins Summary Judgment for Imerys Talc
- State of Illinois
- State of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin