Alan specializes in complex trial litigation involving scientific and technical subject matter. He serves as lead trial counsel on numerous matters throughout the United States before judges, juries, and arbitrators. His cases involve a wide variety of subject matters, including patent infringement, securities, contract/fraud, product liability, ERISA, licensing, trade secrets, and other complex commercial matters. His cases also involve an array of scientific and technical subjects, including medical devices, pharmaceutical products, video streaming, software design, solar cells, and computer hardware. Alan has tried cases to verdict successfully in federal and state courts. Alan also brings a unique perspective from his experience working in several start-up companies. Prior to going into law, Alan was Vice President of Network Security for Citibank's online bank and was a Computer and Network Security Specialist for Iridium, a worldwide satellite telecommunications company. Alan graduated from the University of Chicago Law School with honors, served as editor-in-chief of The Law Review, and clerked on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit for Judge Frank H. Easterbrook.
In re Sugammadex ANDA Litigation
Represent Merck in ANDA patent litigation against 16 generic drug manufacturers in federal courts in New Jersey and West Virginia related to Merck’s anesthesia-reversal drug Bridion®.Sportvision, Inc. et al. v. MLB Advanced Media, L.P.
Lead counsel for MLB Advanced Media in patent, trade secret, and contract matter relating to the display of video graphics.Elliott et al. v. AbbVie, Inc.
Representing AbbVie in securities litigation against multiple hedge funds relating to a potential 2014 merger.Confidential Arbitration
Lead counsel in international arbitration involving pharmaceutical licensing dispute.Thomas et al. v. MLB Advanced Media, L.P.
Lead counsel for MLB Advanced Media in a purported TCPA class action lawsuit.Uniloc v. Amazon et al.
Lead counsel for Home Box Office (HBO) in patent litigation concerning wireless video streaming and device authentication.Confidential Medical Device Client
Lead counsel in evaluating a large competitor patent portfolio and preparing overall litigation strategy to assist client in the design and global release of a medical device.Confidential Energy Provider
Lead counsel in various intellectual property consulting matters involving energy technology, including evaluating whether to assert company’s patents in litigation and defending against trade secret allegations.Teledyne Wireless v. Advantech Wireless et al.
Co-lead counsel for Teledyne in non-compete and trade secret litigation involving company leadership leaving to work for a direct competitor.Front Row Technologies v. MLB Advanced Media, L.P. et al.
Lead counsel for MLB Advanced Media in patent litigation concerning wireless streaming.Sports Technology Applications, Inc. v. MLB Advanced Media, L.P.
Lead counsel for MLB Advanced Media in licensing dispute concerning a trademark license for a mobile predictive gaming application.Pan v. Medtronic, Inc.
Lead counsel for Medtronic in a product liability action concerning a nerve monitoring tube.MLB Properties Arbitration
Lead counsel for MLB Properties in an arbitration involving the scope of a Chinese company’s license and operations throughout China.Fortune 15 Company Arbitrations
Lead counsel for a Fortune 15 healthcare company in nearly fifty arbitrations involving ERISA and the Texas Prompt Pay Act.Alltech Assoc. v. Teledyne Instruments, Inc.
Co-lead counsel for Teledyne Instruments in District of Delaware patent litigation involving chromatography equipment.Behaviour Interactive, Inc. v. MLB Advanced Media, L.P.
Lead trial counsel for MLB Advanced Media in litigation regarding the development of a baseball-themed video game.CEATS, Inc. v. Continental Airlines, Inc. et al.
Lead counsel for Tickets.com in a patent infringement suit in the Eastern District of Texas.Tula Foods v. Kroger et al.
Lead counsel for Tula Foods in a 6-week jury trial in Ohio state court involving claims of fraud, breach of contract, and trade secret misappropriation.Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 572 Health and Welfare Fund v. Merck & Co., Inc.
Counsel for Merck in a putative class action brought by health benefit providers under civil RICO and federal antitrust statutes relating to alleged co-pay subsidy programs.RealNetworks, RealDVD Litigation
Represented RealNetworks against Hollywood Studios and DVD CCA concerning the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
- Partner, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
- Partner, Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott LLP
- Associate, Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott LLP
- University of Chicago Law School, (J.D., with honors)
- Editor-in-Chief, The Law Review
- Joseph H. Beale Prize
- Olin Student Fellowship in Law & Economics
- Merck-Microsoft-Pfizer Student Fellowship
- University of Chicago (B.A., Economics)
- Departmental/General Honors
- University of Chicago Law School, (J.D., with honors)
- The Honorable Frank H. Easterbrook, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
Managing Patent Litigation: Successful Results at Reasonable Costs, Mark L. Levine (Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott LLP) and Alan E. Littmann
- Named Practice Area Star by LMG Life Sciences for Product Liability (2020)
- Ranked by Benchmark Litigation as a Litigation Star and Local Litigation Star (2018-2022)
- Goldman Ismail and Partners Receive Top Rankings in Benchmark Litigation 2022
- Goldman Ismail Helps AbbVie Secure Summary Judgment in Circuit Court of Cook County
- Goldman Ismail Wins Motion to Dismiss In Uniloc Patent Litigation, Impacting Dozens of Cases Nationwide
- Goldman Ismail Named Product Liability Firm of the Year for 2020 by LMG Life Sciences and Receives Top Rankings
- Goldman Ismail and Partners Receive Top Rankings in Benchmark Litigation 2021
- Goldman Ismail Secures Federal Circuit Win In Uniloc Patent Litigation
- Goldman Ismail Secures Important Asylum Victory
- Goldman Ismail and Partners Receive Top Rankings in Benchmark Litigation 2019
- Goldman Ismail and Partners Receive Top Rankings in Benchmark Litigation 2018
- Goldman Ismail Prevails on Summary Judgment in California State Court for Medtronic
- Goldman Ismail Lawyers Recognized for Excellence by Chambers and The Legal 500 in 2014
- Law360 Q & A With Goldman Ismail’s Alan Littmann
- Goldman Ismail Wins Summary Judgment of Non-Infringement for Tickets.com
- Goldman Ismail Welcomes Alan Littmann from Bartlit Beck and Julie Cantor from Munger Tolles
- State of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Vice-President, Network Security and Financial Fraud Protection, Citibank N.A.
- Computer and Network Security Specialist, Iridium, LLC
- Technology Analyst, Deloitte Consulting/NetDox, Inc.