Mike is a litigator focusing on cases involving complex technologies, with experience spanning a range of technical areas and jurisdictions. He has managed complex, multi-jurisdictional and multi-national intellectual-property actions and has significant experience litigating in the International Trade Commission as well as many district courts. His cases have spanned smartphone design, computer operating systems and software, user interfaces, wireless communications, touchscreen hardware, processor and memory design, polymer processing, radar, voice and speech coding, consumer electronics, and other technologies. In addition to his extensive intellectual-property experience, Mike has also litigated contract and tort claims arising out of technology-related disputes. In all of his cases, Mike specializes in analyzing complex legal and technical issues and presenting his clients’ arguments in a clear, understandable, and compelling way.
Consumer Electronics Litigation
- Serving as lead counsel for a Fortune 10 consumer electronics company in eight patent-infringement cases brought by Uniloc USA, a prolific non-practicing entity, relating to telecommunications, user-interface, computer security, and battery technologies. To date, Mike and his team have secured dismissal of three patents and transfer of the remaining cases from the Eastern District of Texas to the Northern District of California—the first convenience-based transfer ever granted against this plaintiff across hundreds of cases. Mike also led a multi-defendant effort that defeated Uniloc’s attempt to centralize its infringement cases in an MDL. The remaining cases are pending in the summary-judgment and discovery phases, with the first trial expected before the end of 2020.
- Mike also served as lead counsel for the same client in multiple patent-infringement lawsuits in Delaware, Illinois, and the International Trade Commission relating to wearable computers, streaming media, user interface, and camera technologies. Secured dismissals of all claims against client in each case.
Represented a California-based Fortune 10 consumer electronics company in enforcing its patent rights against foreign and domestic competitors.
- Southern District of Florida Actions: Co-lead counsel in patent cases against Motorola, including arguing Markman hearing. Case settled after a favorable Markman ruling.
- Multinational Actions: Coordinated actions in the United Kingdom, Germany, the Netherlands, and Australia relating to design and user interface technologies. Client was awarded injunctive relief.
- International Trade Commission Actions: Litigation and trial counsel in ITC action involving operating system software. Following trial, client was awarded an exclusion order barring importation of competitor’s smartphones.
Defended a group of Malaysian polymer and rubber producers at trial in an ITC action alleging that their surgical and work gloves infringed a patent. Trial resulted in a defense verdict and invalidation of all claims of the asserted patent.Smartphone User Interface Litigation
Defended a major California consumer electronics company against patent infringement claims on touch-based user interfaces, including arguing Markman hearing, and developed and litigated related tort and breach of contract claims. Case settled immediately after client received a favorable Markman ruling.Kid Stuff Marketing v. Creative Consumer Concepts, Inc.
Lead counsel for Kid Stuff in inter partes review brought by client’s competitor challenging patent on client’s flagship products. After trial, secured a finding in the client’s favor upholding every challenged claim.Guada Technologies v. MLB Advanced Media, L.P.
Counsel for MLB in patent-infringement case relating to web search technologies pending in the Eastern District of Texas.Avionica, Inc. v. Teledyne Controls, Inc.
Counsel for Teledyne in declaratory judgment action alleging certain avionics patents were invalid and client’s products did not infringe. Formulated and pursued infringement counterclaims and managed all day-to-day aspects of case.
- Partner, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
- Partner, Mavrakakis Law Group
- Associate, Mavrakakis Law Group
- Associate, Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Yale Law School (J.D.)
- Princeton University (B.S.E., chemical engineering, summa cum laude)
- The Honorable John T. Noonan, Jr., U. S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Klepeis J.L., Pieja M.T. and Floudas C.A., A New Class of Hybrid Global Optimization Algorithms for Peptide Structure Prediction: Integrated Hybrids, Computer Phys. Comm. 151:121-140 (2003).
Klepeis J.L., Pieja M.T. and Floudas C.A., Hybrid Global Optimization Algorithms for Protein Structure Prediction: Alternating Hybrids, Biophysical J. 84:869-882 (2003).
- Selected by Super Lawyers as an Illinois Super Lawyer (2020)
- Selected by Super Lawyers as an Illinois Rising Star (2014, 2018, 2019)
- Ranked by Benchmark Litigation as a Top Litigator Under 40 (2018)
- State of California
- State of New York
- State of Illinois