A registered patent attorney, Shaun focuses on litigating cases which often involve a range of complex technologies such as electrical systems, medical devices, semiconductors, and computer software. Shaun also brings a unique perspective of intellectual property strategy gained through serving as in-house counsel for Hewlett Packard. Shaun graduated summa cum laude from Georgia Tech with a degree in materials science and engineering, and earned his law degree from Georgetown Law, where he served as president of the student body.
Consumer Electronics Litigation
- Represents Fortune 10 consumer-electronics company in several patent-infringement cases brought by Uniloc USA, a prolific non-practicing entity, relating to telecommunications, user-interface, computer-security, and battery technologies. Following the dismissal of several of these suits, the remaining cases have reached the fact and expert discovery phases.
- Represented a Fortune 10 company in a patent-infringement dispute relating to digital-mapping technologies. The matter resolved immediately after the Court issued its Markman order that provided the client with several new non-infringement arguments.
- Represented Fortune 10 company in a patent-infringement action brought by non-practicing entity Mesa Digital, LLC. Obtained a stipulation of dismissal of all claims with prejudice.
Counsel for MLB Advanced Media in a patent, trade secret, and contract matter relating to the display of video graphics.PFAS Environmental Litigation
National counsel for chemical manufacturer in thousands of environmental and products liability claims in state and federal courts nationwide brought by individuals, municipalities, and states alleging groundwater contamination and personal injury as individual claims, consolidated proceedings, and class actions.Strategic IP Counseling
Advises technology companies on patent strategy and preparedness, including leading analysis for litigation, licensing, patent acquisitions, and negotiations.Medical Waste Management Litigation
Represented a market-leading medical device manufacturer in a patent infringement suit concerning medical waste management technology.Endoscopic Imaging Litigation
Defended a market leading medical device manufacturer in a patent infringement suit concerning endoscopic imaging technology.
- Associate, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
- Associate, McAndrews, Held & Malloy, Ltd.
- Patent Counsel, Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.)
- Student Body President
- Washington Law Reporter Prize
- Dean’s Certificate for Exceptional Service
- Georgia Institute of Technology (B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, summa cum laude)
- Faculty Honors
- Cooke Scholar
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.)
- Vice Chair, U.S. Patent Law Committee of the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- The Richard Linn American Inn of Court
- Chicago Council for the American Writers Museum
- Junior Board, Alzheimer’s Association Illinois Chapter
- Associate Board, Chicago Scholars
- Georgetown Law Chicago Alumni Council
How Different Are the Broadest Reasonable Interpretation and Phillips Claim Construction Standards?, IPO Law Journal (July 27, 2018) (cited by the USPTO in its October 11, 2018 Final Rule (Federal Register Vol. 83, No. 197) that changes the claim construction standard for interpreting patent claims in PTAB Trials)
IPR at Supreme Court: Inside Cuozzo Oral Arguments, Law360 (April 26, 2016)
Superhydrophobic and Low Light Reflectivity Silicon Surfaces Fabricated by Hierarchical Etching, Langmuir 24, 18, 10421-10426 (August 19, 2008)
- Selected by Super Lawyers as an Illinois Rising Star (2021)
- Selected by IP Stars as a National Rising Star (2018 – 2021)
- Named a 35 Under 35 Leader Making an Impact by the Chicago Scholars Foundation (2019)
- Named a Promising Professional by the Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers (2018)
- Received the Game Changers Award by Hewlett Packard Enterprise (2016)
- Speaker, From BRI to Phillips at the PTAB: Consequences for Practice, IPO Chat Channel (2018)
- Speaker, The Trusted Advisor, Illinois State Bar Association CLE Conference (2017)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois