Partner, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
Partner, Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott LLP
Honorable Sam Sparks, United States District Judge for the Western District of Texas
University of Michigan Law School (J.D., magna cum laude)
- Executive Note Editor, The Michigan Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Clarence Darrow Scholar
Trinity University (B.A., summa cum laude)
- Murchison Scholar
- Commencement Speaker
- President, Trinity University Voluntary Action Group
- Phi Beta Kappa
Professional & Community Affiliations
Member, International Association of Defense Counsel
Secretary, National Board of Directors, Step Up
Member, Board of Directors, Friends of Prentice
- Goldman Ismail and Partners Receive Top Rankings in Benchmark Litigation 2018
- Second Circuit Affirms Orders Dismissing All 1200+ Cases in Mirena Perforation MDL
- Goldman Ismail Secures Favorable Jury Verdict in Pelvic Mesh Trial
- Law360 Picks Mirena IUD Products Liability Litigation MDL Ruling as One of Year’s Most Significant
- Federal Judge Dismisses All 1225 Cases in Mirena Multidistrict Litigation
- Second Circuit Affirms Mirena MDL Dismissals
- Goldman Ismail Once Again Tops Legal 500 Rankings
- Goldman Ismail Wins Eleventh Circuit Appeal
- Landmark Daubert Victory for Goldman Ismail—Federal Judge Excludes Plaintiffs’ Experts
- Another Summary Judgment Victory for Goldman Ismail—New Jersey Court Grants Defense Motions In Major Consolidated Litigation
- Goldman Ismail Successfully Opposes Consolidation in Mirena Litigation
- Goldman Ismail Lawyers Recognized for Excellence by Chambers and The Legal 500 in 2014
- Shayna Cook named as Law360 Rising Star
- Goldman Ismail named to The National Law Journal's Litigation Boutiques Hot List
- Goldman Ismail Wins Summary Judgment for Imerys Talc
- Law360 Q & A With Goldman Ismail's Shayna Cook
- Shayna Cook Joins Goldman Ismail as a Partner in the Chicago Office
Bar & Court Admissions
State of Illinois
State of Texas (inactive status)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Federal Circuit, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Federal Bar Association
U.S. Department of Justice, Attorney General's Honors Program, Trial Attorney
Shayna S. Cook
Shayna’s extensive litigation experience, whether as lead counsel in large multidistrict litigation or as trial counsel in individual courts throughout the country, enables her to craft and execute a legal strategy tailored to get her clients the best results. Those results have included successful Daubert challenges leading to the elimination of thousands of cases nationwide and trial wins across the country. Shayna has also successfully argued key dispositive motions and taken/defended critical fact and expert witness depositions all over the world. Given her track record, it is no surprise that Shayna is entrusted to represent multinational clients across a wide range of high-stakes product liability, intellectual property, and general commercial litigation matters.
- Ranked by Benchmark Litigation as a Litigation Star and Top 250 Women in Litigation (2018)
- Recognized as Benchmark Litigation’s Top 250 Women in Litigation (2017)
- IADC Annual Meeting, There Is No ‘I’ in ‘Team’: Embracing the Virtual Law Firm (Quebec Canada, July 2017)
- Duke Law Center for Judicial Studies, Emerging Issues in Mass-Tort MDLs, Expanding Extent of Information Provided Initially for Individual Claims Review (Washington, DC, October 2016)
- Recognized in Who’s Who Legal: Life Sciences Defence Lawyers (2015-2018)
- Recognized in Who’s Who Legal: Product Liability Defence Lawyers (2017-2018)
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list (2016-2017)
- Selected by Super Lawyers as an Illinois Rising Star (2013-2015)
- Recognized by Diversity MBA Magazine as one of 2013 Top 100 Under 50 Diverse Executive and Emerging Leaders (2013)
- ACI Drug and Medical Device Litigation Conference, Avoiding New Litigation Pitfalls Arising from Emergent Social Media (New York, December 2011)
- International Association of Defense Counsel Webinar, The Relevance of the FDA in Pharmaceutical Products Liability Trials in the Post-Levine World (October 2011)
Mirena IUD Products Liability Litigation
Lead counsel for Bayer in thousands of lawsuits in a federal multidistrict litigation in New York and state courts around the country involving the Mirena® intrauterine device. After years of fact and expert discovery, the MDL Court excluded all of Plaintiffs’ general causation expert testimony and granted summary judgment to Bayer in July 2016, dismissing more than 1200 cases.
Lead counsel for Bayer in a separate federal multidistrict litigation in New York where fact discovery is ongoing.
Ethicon Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation
Trial counsel for Johnson & Johnson and Ethicon, Inc. in cases alleging personal injuries from the use of pelvic mesh products for the treatment of pelvic organ prolapse and stress incontinence. Delivered a successful result for Ethicon in trial in federal court in Chicago in August 2017.
Merck v. Apotex
Represent Merck in patent litigation against Apotex in federal court in New Jersey related to nasal spray.
National counsel for Medtronic, Inc. in products liability cases nationwide involving the SynchroMed® II Programmable Drug Infusion System.
Berg v. Johnson & Johnson, et al.
Lead trial counsel for Imerys Talc America, Inc. in personal injury case involving ovarian cancer. Court granted summary judgment to Imerys shortly before trial.
Tula Foods v. Kroger et al.
Represented plaintiff Tula Foods, the maker of Better Whey of Life®Greek yogurt, in a 6-week jury trial in Ohio state court. Tula Foods asserted claims of fraud, breach of contract, and misappropriation of trade secrets in suit against The Kroger Co. and Weber Flavors.
Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation v. United States
Trial counsel for Sikorsky in $80 million accounting dispute with the federal government. Won bench trial in Court of Federal Claims.
Trial counsel for Bayer in federal multidistrict litigation, where thousands of plaintiffs alleged personal injuries related to their use of YAZ® and Yasmin® birth control pills. Prepared bellwether trial cases for first MDL trials.
Trial counsel for Bayer in product liability cases involving Trasylol®, a drug used during coronary bypass surgery to prevent excessive bleeding. Prepared cases for trial, including taking and defending key expert and fact witness depositions and arguing motions. Successfully argued summary judgment motion in bellwether trial case, which the Eleventh Circuit affirmed.
Sensormatic Electronics Corp. v. The TAG Company US LLC et al.
Trial counsel for Sensormatic (a subsidiary of Tyco International) in patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract suit. Following a three-week bench trial, the Court entered judgment in favor of Sensormatic on all counts and enjoined defendants from continuing to infringe Sensormatic’s patents. Affirmed on appeal by the Federal Circuit.
Defended Merck & Co., Inc. against allegations that its anti-inflammatory medication Vioxx® caused heart attacks. Trial counsel for Merck in multiple federal MDL trials and California state court trial, resulting in defense verdicts.
Svoboda v. Bayer Corp.
Trial counsel for Bayer in Florida state court trial in PPA litigation, where plaintiff alleged Alka Seltzer Plus® cold medication caused his stroke. Jury verdict for Bayer.