Partner, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
Partner, Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott LLP
Honorable Sam Sparks, United States District Judge for the Western District of Texas
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
- Executive Note Editor, The Michigan Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Clarence Darrow Scholar
Trinity University, B.A., summa cum laude
- Murchison Scholar
- Commencement Speaker
- President, Trinity University Voluntary Action Group
- Phi Beta Kappa
Professional & Community Affiliations
Member, International Association of Defense Counsel
Secretary, National Board of Directors, Step Up
- Federal Judge Dismisses All 1225 Cases in Mirena Multidistrict Litigation
- Second Circuit Affirms Mirena MDL Dismissals
- Goldman Ismail Once Again Tops Legal 500 Rankings
- Shayna Cook and Rami Fakhouri Win Eleventh Circuit Appeal
- Landmark Daubert Victory for Goldman Ismail—Federal Judge Excludes Plaintiffs’ Experts
- Another Summary Judgment Victory for Goldman Ismail—New Jersey Court Grants Defense Motions In Major Consolidated Litigation
- Goldman Ismail Successfully Opposes Consolidation in Mirena Litigation
- Goldman Ismail Lawyers Recognized for Excellence by Chambers and The Legal 500 in 2014
- Shayna Cook named as Law360 Rising Star
- Goldman Ismail named to The National Law Journal's Litigation Boutiques Hot List
- Goldman Ismail Wins Summary Judgment for Imerys Talc
- Law360 Q & A With Goldman Ismail's Shayna Cook
- Shayna Cook Joins Goldman Ismail as a Partner in the Chicago Office
Bar & Court Admissions
State of Illinois
State of Texas (inactive status)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Federal Circuit, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
U.S. Department of Justice, Attorney's General Honors Program, Trial Attorney
Shayna S. Cook
Shayna prepares high-stakes cases for trial in state and federal courts across the country. From pre-suit investigation through fact and expert discovery and a verdict at trial, Shayna’s trial experience enables her to craft a strategy tailored to achieve the best result.
Shayna represents multinational clients in a variety of commercial litigation, including intellectual property, product liability, and contract disputes. In addition to trying cases, Shayna's expertise extends to taking and defending fact and expert witnesses’ depositions, negotiating with opposing counsel, and preparing and arguing key motions such as motions in limine, Daubert challenges, and summary judgment motions.
- Recognized in Who’s Who Legal Life Sciences 2015, 2016 (Product Liability)
- Recognized as one of Illinois’ Super Lawyers for 2016, Chicago Magazine
- Recognized as one of 2013 Top 100 Under 50 Diverse Executive Leaders, Diversity MBA Magazine
- ACI Drug and Medical Device Litigation Conference, December 2011: “Avoiding New Litigation Pitfalls Arising from Emergent Social Media.”
- International Association of Defense Counsel Webinar, October 2011: “The Relevance of the FDA in Pharmaceutical Products Liability Trials in the Post-Levine World.”
In re: Mirena® IUD Products Liability Litigation
Lead counsel for Bayer in thousands of lawsuits in federal and state courts around the country involving the Mirena® intrauterine device.
In re Ethicon Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation
Trial counsel for Johnson & Johnson and Ethicon, Inc. in cases alleging personal injuries from the use of pelvic mesh products for the treatment of pelvic organ prolapse and stress incontinence.
Berg v. Johnson & Johnson, et al.
Lead trial counsel for Imerys Talc America, Inc. in personal injury case involving ovarian cancer. Court granted summary judgment to Imerys shortly before trial.
Tula Foods v. Kroger et al.
Represented plaintiff Tula Foods, the maker of Better Whey of Life®Greek yogurt, in a 6-week jury trial in Ohio state court. Tula Foods asserted claims of fraud, breach of contract, and misappropriation of trade secrets in suit against The Kroger Co. and Weber Flavors.
Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation v. United States
Trial counsel for Sikorsky in $80 million accounting dispute with the federal government. Won bench trial in Court of Federal Claims.
Trial counsel for Bayer in federal multidistrict litigation, where thousands of plaintiffs alleged personal injuries related to their use of YAZ® and Yasmin® birth control pills. Prepared bellwether trial cases for first MDL trials.
Trial counsel for Bayer in product liability cases involving Trasylol®, a drug used during coronary bypass surgery to prevent excessive bleeding. Prepared cases for trial, including taking and defending key expert and fact witness depositions and arguing motions. Successfully argued summary judgment motion in bellwether trial case, which the Eleventh Circuit affirmed.
Sensormatic Electronics Corp. v. The TAG Company US LLC et al.
Trial counsel for Sensormatic (a subsidiary of Tyco International) in patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract suit. Following a three-week bench trial, the Court entered judgment in favor of Sensormatic on all counts and enjoined defendants from continuing to infringe Sensormatic’s patents. Affirmed on appeal by the Federal Circuit.
Defended Merck & Co., Inc. against allegations that its anti-inflammatory medication Vioxx® caused heart attacks.
Mason v. Merck & Co. Trial counsel for Merck in federal MDL case involving Vioxx®. Plaintiff alleged Vioxx® caused his heart attack. Two-and-a-half week jury trial in New Orleans federal court. After 90 minutes of deliberation, jury returned a complete verdict for Merck.
Grossberg v. Merck & Co. Trial counsel for Merck in first California state court case involving Vioxx®. Plaintiff alleged Vioxx® caused his heart attack. After a six-week jury trial in Los Angeles, the jury returned a complete defense verdict for Merck.
Plunkett v. Merck & Co. Trial counsel for Merck in first federal Vioxx® trial in the country. Plaintiff alleged Vioxx® caused her husband’s heart attack and death. After two-week jury trial in Houston federal court, where the MDL was moved after Hurricane Katrina, jury deadlocked 8-1 in favor of Merck. A two-week retrial in New Orleans federal court resulted in a unanimous jury verdict for Merck.
Svoboda v. Bayer Corp.
Trial counsel for Bayer in Florida state court trial in PPA litigation, where plaintiff alleged Alka Seltzer Plus® cold medication caused his stroke. Jury verdict for Bayer.