Partner, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
Partner, Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott LLP
Associate, Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott LLP
Associate, Wiggin and Dana LLP
Yale Law School (J.D.)
- Founder and Director, Yale Health Law Society
- Editor, Yale Journal of Health Policy, Law & Ethics
Yale University School of Medicine (M.D.)
University of California at Berkeley (B.A., Psychology)
- Highest Academic Distinction
- Junior Phi Beta Kappa
Professional & Community Affiliations
Lecturer, Yale University
Landmark Legal Cases in Bioethics
- Medicine & Society: A Legal and Policy Perspective
- Bayer Wins Daubert Ruling Excluding Plaintiffs’ Expert Witnesses in the Gadolinium Retention Contrast Dye Litigation
- Bayer Wins Dismissal of All Cases in the Mirena IIH MDL
- Goldman Ismail Tops 2019 Chambers and Partners Rankings
- Goldman Ismail Defeats Plaintiffs’ Attempt to Form MDL in Gadolinium Retention Contrast Dye Litigation
- Bayer Wins Daubert Ruling Excluding All Plaintiffs’ Expert Witnesses in the Mirena IIH MDL
- Goldman Ismail Tops 2018 Chambers and Partners Rankings
- Second Circuit Affirms Orders Dismissing All 1200+ Cases in Mirena Perforation MDL
- Law360 Picks Mirena IUD Products Liability Litigation MDL Ruling as One of Year’s Most Significant
- Tarek Ismail and Ken Baum Named Winning Litigators in The National Law Journal Special Report
- Federal Judge Dismisses All 1225 Cases in Mirena Multidistrict Litigation
- Second Circuit Affirms Mirena MDL Dismissals
- Landmark Daubert Victory for Goldman Ismail—Federal Judge Excludes Plaintiffs’ Experts
- Goldman Ismail wins Fosamax Bellwether trial in California for Merck
- Goldman Ismail Lawyers Recognized for Excellence by Chambers and The Legal 500 in 2014
- Drug, Device and Biotechnology Committee Newsletter, “Assessing the Post-Riegel Landscape: The Effect of Sales Representatives' Actions on Preemption Analyses”
- Goldman Ismail Recognized for Excellence by Chambers USA 2013 and The Legal 500 2013
- The Legal 500 2012 Ranks Goldman Ismail as Top Firm for Products Liability Litigation
- Goldman Ismail Wins Complete Defense Verdict for Merck in Bellwether Fosamax Trial
- Goldman Ismail Obtains Complete Defense Verdict for Merck in Vioxx Case Brought by LA Attorney General
Bar & Court Admissions
State of California
State of Connecticut (inactive)
Kenneth F. Baum
“Kenneth Baum is a stand-out name” in “complex medical and scientific matters” with “strong trial advocacy skills to boot.” – The Legal 500
Ken brings a highly specialized set of skills to defending claims brought against drug and medical device manufacturers. A graduate of both Yale Law School and the Yale University School of Medicine, Ken is widely regarded by clients and his peers as one of the nation’s leading practitioners in the products liability arena. Clients reporting to The Legal 500 repeatedly single out Ken as a “very hardworking, very skilled trial lawyer,” and a key practitioner in products liability and mass tort defense.
With a unique ability to synthesize and convey complex scientific and medical issues, Ken leads national science and expert teams in high-profile products liability litigations, including Vioxx® (Merck), Sprint Fidelis® (Medtronic), Seroquel® (AstraZeneca), gadolinium contrast dye (Bayer), Fosamax® (Merck), Mirena® (Bayer), and Zostavax® (Merck). Clients turn to Ken to depose key expert and treating physician witnesses, and his depositions have repeatedly led to litigation-ending Daubert rulings. Ken also is a pillar of bellwether trial teams, crafting case strategies and witness examinations that have led to numerous trial victories and, ultimately, the dismissal of thousands of cases nationwide.
- Ranked by Chambers USA as a Recognized Practitioner in Product Liability & Mass Torts (2018-2019)
- Profiled in The National Law Journal’s Special Report, Winning Litigators: High Stakes, Significant Victories (2016)
- Mentioned by The Legal 500 for products liability and mass tort defense work (2010, 2012-2014)
National science and expert team member and trial counsel for Merck & Co., Inc. in litigation concerning Fosamax®, a prescription drug used for the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis and other bone disorders.
Mirena IUD Litigation
Leader of national science and expert team for Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc. in litigation concerning the Mirena® intrauterine device.
Counsel and national science and expert team member for Merck & Co., Inc. in litigation concerning Merck’s shingles vaccine, Zostavax®.
National counsel for UCB, Inc. in litigation concerning UCB’s opioid products.
National science and expert team member and trial counsel for Merck & Co., Inc. in litigation concerning Vioxx®, a prescription anti-inflammatory medication.
Gadolinium Contrast Dye Litigation
Counsel and leader of national science and expert team for Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc. in litigation concerning Bayer’s gadolinium-based contrast agents used in magnetic resonance imaging.
Sprint Fidelis Litigation
National science and expert team member for Medtronic in litigation concerning Medtronic’s Sprint Fidelis® heart defibrillator leads.
Counsel and national science and expert team member for AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals in litigation concerning the prescription drug, Seroquel®, which is used to treat certain mental health disorders.
Counsel and national science and expert team member for Bayer Corp. in litigation concerning Baycol®, a prescription cholesterol-reducing medication.
Hormone Replacement Therapy Litigation
National science and expert team member for Wyeth, Inc. in litigation concerning the hormone replacement therapy prescription drugs Premarin® and Prempro®.
Ken Baum & Julie Cantor, Doctors Can Ease Suffering, Even in Executions, New York Times (2014)
Ken Baum, Jennifer Greenblatt & Julie Cantor, Assessing the Post-Riegel Landscape: The Effect of Sales Representatives’ Actions on Preemption Analysis, Drug, Device & Biotechnology IADC Committee Newsletter (2014)
Now on PBS: When Law and Ethics Collide – Why Physicians Participate in Executions (TV broadcast, July 14, 2006)
Talk of the Nation: Medical Ethics and Capital Punishment (NPR radio broadcast, Feb. 23, 2006)
Ken Baum, Independent Medical Examinations: An Expanding Source of Physician Liability, Annals of Internal Medicine 2005; 142:974-78
Julie Cantor & Ken Baum, The Limits of Conscientious Objection—May Pharmacists Refuse to Fill Prescriptions for Emergency Contraception?, New England Journal of Medicine 2004; 351:2008-12
Kenneth Baum, “To Comfort Always”: Physician Participation in Executions, 5 N.Y.U. J. Legis. & Pub. Pol'y 47 (2002)
Kenneth F. Baum, Golden Eggs: Towards the Rational Regulation of Oocyte Donation, 2001 BYU L. Rev. 107 (2001)