Partner, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
Associate, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
Associate, Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott LLP
The Honorable John T. Noonan, Jr., U. S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Yale Law School
- Managing Editor, Yale Law and Policy Review
- Editor, Yale Journal of Law and Technology
University of Notre Dame (B.A., summa cum laude)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Sigma Tau Delta
- Phi Alpha Theta
- Student Body President
- Law360 Picks Mirena IUD Products Liability Litigation MDL Ruling as One of Year’s Most Significant
- Federal Judge Dismisses All 1225 Cases in Mirena Multidistrict Litigation
- Second Circuit Affirms Mirena MDL Dismissals
- Landmark Daubert Victory for Goldman Ismail—Federal Judge Excludes Plaintiffs’ Experts
- Another Summary Judgment Victory for Goldman Ismail—New Jersey Court Grants Defense Motions In Major Consolidated Litigation
- Goldman Ismail Lawyers Recognized for Excellence by Chambers and The Legal 500 in 2014
- The Legal 500 2012 Ranks Goldman Ismail as Top Firm for Products Liability Litigation
- Goldman Ismail Wins Summary Judgment of Non-Infringement for Tickets.com
- Goldman Ismail Obtains Complete Defense Verdict for Merck in Vioxx Case Brought by LA Attorney General
Bar & Court Admissions
State of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Brian P. O'Donoghue
Highlights of Brian’s litigation practice include high-profile cases in products liability, intellectual property, complex commercial litigation, and securities litigation. He has been involved in multi-state class actions, internal investigations, and litigation matters relating to individual corporate clients in a variety of industries, including pharmaceutical, energy, manufacturing, and electronics. Clients rely on Brian’s keen judgment as well as his ability to master both the key issues of the case and the often dense and difficult subject matter.
- Selected by Super Lawyers as an Illinois Rising Star (2014-2018)
- Named to Benchmark Litigation Under 40 Hotlist (2017)
In re Mirena IUD Products Liability Litigation
National coordination counsel for Bayer in federal and state litigation involving the Mirena® intrauterine device.
Defend Merck & Co., Inc. against allegations that its anti-inflammatory medication Vioxx® had caused heart attacks.
- State of Louisiana v. Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. Represented Merck in first Attorney General trial relating to Vioxx®. Two-week bench trial resulting in defense verdict for Merck.
- Dedrick v. Merck & Co., Inc. Represented Merck in fifth federal trial involving Vioxx®. Three-week jury trial in New Orleans Federal Court. After less than one hour of deliberation, jury returned a complete verdict for Merck.
- Mason v. Merck & Co., Inc. Represented Merck in fourth federal trial involving Vioxx®. Two-week jury trial in New Orleans Federal Court. Jury returned a complete verdict for Merck.
- Grossberg v. Merck & Co., Inc. Represented Merck in first California state court trial involving Vioxx®. Six-week jury trial in Los Angeles. Jury verdict for Merck.
- Ledbetter v. Merck & Co., Inc. Represented Merck in Texas state court case involving Vioxx®. Summary judgment granted to Merck.
Vioxx Third-Party Payor Litigation Represented Merck in lawsuits brought by individual third-party payors who alleged economic losses relating to purchase of Vioxx®.
Alltech Assoc. v. Teledyne Instruments, Inc.
Lead counsel for Teledyne Instruments in patent litigation pending in the District of Delaware concerning chromatography instrumentation.
Visual Intelligence LP v. Optech, Inc.
Lead counsel for Optech, Inc. in patent litigation pending in the Southern District of Texas concerning remote sensing technology.
CEATS, Inc. v. Continental Airlines, Inc. et. al. (E.D. TX)
Won summary judgment of non-infringement on behalf of defendant Tickets.com in a patent infringement suit before Judge Leonard Davis. Plaintiff CEATS sued over 30 defendants relating to online ticketing patents. Tickets.com was the only defendant to win summary judgment of non-infringement.
Nicor Gas Co. v. Pappas Construction Co.
After client lost in arbitration, represented plaintiff Nicor Gas in suit arising from defendant’s alleged repeated destruction of underground gas lines. First chaired jury trial recovering 75% of client’s damages demand.
In re Tyco
Represented Tyco in shareholder, securities, and ERISA litigations related to former C.E.O. Dennis Kozlowski’s alleged embezzlement of company funds.
In re Teflon Products Liability
Represented DuPont in more than 15 alleged intrastate class actions brought on behalf of consumers who purchased Teflon®-coated cookware. The classes were not certified.
Convolve et al. v. Compaq and Seagate (In re Seagate)
Lead counsel for Compaq (now Hewlett-Packard) in patent and trade secret dispute with Convolve relating to disk drive technology in which Convolve sought hundreds of millions of dollars in damages. Retained to handle expert discovery and trial after case had been pending for several years. Won summary judgment on all patent and trade secret claims.
Avionica, Inc. v. Teledyne Controls, Inc.
Lead counsel for defendant in declaratory judgment action alleging certain avionics patents were invalid and plaintiff's products did not infringe.