Associate, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
Associate, McAndrews, Held & Malloy, Ltd.
Patent Counsel, Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co.
Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.)
- Student Body President
- Washington Law Reporter Prize
- Dean’s Certificate for Exceptional Service
Georgia Institute of Technology (B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, summa cum laude)
- Faculty Honors
- Cooke Scholar
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Chicago Council, American Writers Museum
- Junior Board, Alzheimer’s Association Illinois Chapter
- Mentor and Associate Board, Chicago Scholars
Bar & Court Admissions
State of Illinois
State of Virginia
United States Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
A registered patent attorney, Shaun focuses on litigating cases which often involve a range of complex technologies such as electrical systems, medical devices, semiconductors, and computer software. Shaun also brings a unique perspective of intellectual property strategy gained through serving as in-house counsel for Hewlett Packard. Shaun graduated summa cum laude from Georgia Tech with a degree in materials science and engineering, and earned his law degree from Georgetown Law, where he served as president of the student body.
- Named a National Rising Star by Managing Intellectual Property (2018)
- Speaker, From BRI to Phillips at the PTAB: Consequences for Practice, IPO Chat Channel (2018)
- Speaker, The Trusted Advisor, Illinois State Bar Association CLE Conference (2017)
- Recognized as a Promising Professional by the Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers (2018)
- Awarded the General Counsel’s Game Changers Award by Hewlett Packard Enterprise (2016)
- Board Member, Georgetown Law Recent Alumni Advisory Council
- Co-Chair, Patents Subcommittee of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA)
- Vice Chair, U.S. Patent Law Committee of the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
Consumer Electronics Litigation
Represents a Fortune 10 consumer-electronics company in eight patent-infringement cases relating to telecommunications, user-interface, computer-security, and battery technologies. Following the dismissal of several of these suits, the remaining actions are pending in the summary-judgment and discovery phases.
Medical Waste Management Litigation
Represented a market leading medical device manufacturer in a patent infringement suit concerning medical waste management technology.
Endoscopic Imaging Litigation
Defended a market leading medical device manufacturer in a patent infringement suit concerning endoscopic imaging technology.
How Different Are the Broadest Reasonable Interpretation and Phillips Claim Construction Standards?, IPO Law Journal (July 27, 2018) (cited by the USPTO in its October 11, 2018 Final Rule (Federal Register Vol. 83, No. 197) that changes the claim construction standard for interpreting patent claims in PTAB Trials)
IPR at Supreme Court: Inside Cuozzo Oral Arguments, Law360 (April 26, 2016)
Superhydrophobic and Low Light Reflectivity Silicon Surfaces Fabricated by Hierarchical Etching, Langmuir 24, 18, 10421-10426 (August 19, 2008)