Associate, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
Associate, Foley & Lardner LLP
University of Michigan School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Clarence Darrow Scholar
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (M.D.)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Georgetown University (B.S., Biology, magna cum laude)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Biology Medal recipient
- Bayer Wins Dismissal of All Cases in the Mirena IIH MDL
- Goldman Ismail Defeats Plaintiffs’ Attempt to Form MDL in Gadolinium Retention Contrast Dye Litigation
- Bayer Wins Daubert Ruling Excluding All Plaintiffs’ Expert Witnesses in the Mirena IIH MDL
- Goldman Ismail Secures Complete Defense Jury Verdict in AndroGel Bellwether Trial
- Goldman Ismail Obtains Summary Judgment for Medtronic in Another California SynchroMed Case
- Second Circuit Affirms Orders Dismissing All 1200+ Cases in Mirena Perforation MDL
- Goldman Ismail Secures Dismissal of All Claims Against Medtronic in California SynchroMed Case
- Law360 Picks Mirena IUD Products Liability Litigation MDL Ruling as One of Year’s Most Significant
- Federal Judge Dismisses All 1225 Cases in Mirena Multidistrict Litigation
Bar & Court Admissions
State of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Circuit Court for the Seventh Circuit
Public Interest Law Initiative Fellow, AIDS Legal Council Chicago
Legal Intern, University of Michigan Health System Office of General Counsel
Assistant EMS Medical Director, San Francisco Fire Department
Resident Physician, University of Chicago Hospitals, Emergency Medicine
Michael J. Casner
With over a decade of experience as an emergency physician, Michael brings a unique background and set of skills to his legal practice. His education and experience in the healthcare field allow him to understand the complex medical and scientific principles that are essential to the defense of claims against pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers. As an attorney, Michael has demonstrated skill in litigation, from drafting key dispositive motions to developing deposition strategy.
Michael has also actively pursued pro bono activities, including helping to secure equal treatment for a transgender high school student and assisting with the Chicago Federal Defenders Program. He also actively participates in the Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago's Lawyers in the Classroom program, teaching students in the Chicago Public School system about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
- Selected by Super Lawyers as an Illinois Rising Star (2018, 2019)
Rowley v. AbbVie, Inc.
Represented AbbVie in a MDL bellwether trial where the plaintiff claimed AndroGel caused his deep vein thrombosis. The jury returned a complete defense verdict for AbbVie in June 2018.
In re Mirena IUD Products Liability Litigation
Represents Bayer in federal and state litigation involving the Mirena® intrauterine device. Recent work includes cases relating to idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH).
In re Ethicon, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation
Represents Ethicon and Johnson & Johnson in litigation involving claims for defective design regarding certain pelvic mesh devices.
West v. Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Represents Bayer in litigation involving claims of infection arising from allegedly contaminated components of a self-administered Betaseron® injection kit.
Represents Medtronic, Inc. in products liability cases nationwide involving the SynchroMed® II Programmable Drug Infusion System.
Residential Real Estate Dispute
Represented the buyer pro bono in a post-closing real estate transaction dispute involving claims of misrepresentations regarding the property's condition. Successfully negotiated a confidential settlement for the buyer.