Partner, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
Associate, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
Associate, Grippo & Elden LLC (now Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.)
Honorable Matthew F. Kennelly, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Northwestern Pritzker School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
• Order of the Coif
• Northwestern University Law Review, Senior Articles Editor and Staff Member
• Winner and Outstanding Speaker, 2010 Julius Miner Moot Court Competition
College of William & Mary (B.A., Government, magna cum laude)
- Minor in Middle Eastern Studies
- James Monroe Scholar
- Goldman Ismail and Partners Receive Top Rankings in Benchmark Litigation 2019
- Illinois Appellate Court Affirms Dismissal of SynchroMed Lawsuit
- Goldman Ismail Obtains Summary Judgment for Medtronic in Another California SynchroMed Case
- Rami Fakhouri Recognized for Pro Bono Service by Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Goldman Ismail Secures Complete Defense Verdict in Philadelphia Xarelto Trial
- Goldman Ismail Secures Dismissal of All Claims Against Medtronic in California SynchroMed Case
- Goldman Ismail Defeats Certiorari Petition in U.S. Supreme Court
- Goldman Ismail Secures String of Dismissals on Preemption Grounds in SynchroMed Litigation
- Goldman Ismail Wins Reversal En Banc Before U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Goldman Ismail Wins Eleventh Circuit Appeal
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit Grants Goldman Ismail’s Petition for Rehearing En Banc
Bar & Court Admissions
State of Illinois
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
An accomplished trial and appellate litigator, Rami brings strong critical reasoning and communication skills to the table for a diverse set of clients across a wide spectrum of subject matters, including products liability, complex commercial litigation, and intellectual property. His keen interest in complex legal issues and depth of procedural knowledge have led to winning results, including a successful motion for judgment on the pleadings in a multimillion-dollar patent ownership dispute, a string of dismissals on preemption grounds in nationwide product liability cases, and a rare grant of rehearing and reversal of summary judgment en banc before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Rami’s broad skill set has enabled him to excel whether he is taking and defending depositions, drafting and arguing a host of dispositive motions, or coordinating and implementing strategy in complex litigation in state and federal courts across the country.
- Selected as an Emerging Lawyer by Leading Lawyers (2019)
- Named an Illinois Rising Star by Super Lawyers (2019)
- Selected for Benchmark Litigation’s 40 & Under Hot List (2018, 2019)
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association, John Paul Stevens Pro Bono and Public Service Award (2018)
- Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law (2018)
- Legislative Liaison, Chicago Bar Association Federal Civil Practice Committee
- President (2015-18) and Member, Justice Council of the Center on Wrongful Convictions
- Member of Associates Board and Scholar Coach, One Million Degrees: The Community College Project
- Chair, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP pro bono committee
- Contestant, Jeopardy! (TV broadcast, Dec. 15, 2015)
Represented Janssen in a case tried in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas claiming personal injuries allegedly caused by Xarelto, an anticoagulant developed by Janssen and Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals (Russell v. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.). The jury returned a complete defense verdict for Janssen and Bayer in April 2018. Also served on MDL case work-up team tasked with taking depositions of plaintiffs and treating physicians in cases across the country.
Represents Medtronic, Inc. in products liability cases nationwide involving the SynchroMed® II Programmable Drug Infusion System. Argued and won dispositive motions on preemption and other grounds.
Sports Technology Applications, Inc. v. MLB Advanced Media, L.P.
Represents MLB Advanced Media in licensing dispute concerning a trademark license for a mobile predictive gaming application.
Behaviour Interactive, Inc. v. MLB Advanced Media, L.P.
Represented MLB Advanced Media in litigation regarding the development of a baseball-themed video game.
Air Line Pilots Association, International
Represents ALPA, the world’s largest pilot union, as local counsel in several matters pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Lyles v. McNeil-PPC, Inc. et al.
Defended manufacturer of Extra Strength Tylenol in product liability action in New Jersey Superior Court. The matter settled for a nominal sum on the first day of trial.
Saybrook Tax Exempt Investors LLC et al. v. Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians et al.
Represented bondholder in federal, state, and tribal courts in a complex commercial dispute stemming from a tribal bond issuance.
Petties v. Carter
Lead counsel for an indigent prisoner plaintiff in pro bono Section 1983 litigation alleging deliberate indifference to serious medical needs. Secured rehearing en banc and reversal of summary judgment before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Successfully opposed defendants’ petition for a writ of certiorari before U.S. Supreme Court. Favorably settled the case on remand. More information on the case is found here.
Northern District of Illinois Settlement Assistance Program
Represented a former employee pro bono in a court-ordered settlement conference in Section 1983 employment discrimination claim. Negotiated a favorable resolution of client’s national-origin discrimination and retaliation claims.
The Most Dangerous Blot in Our Constitution: Retiring the Flawed Electoral College “Contingent Procedure,” 104 Nw. U. L. Rev. 705 (2010).