Associate, Goldman Ismail Tomaselli Brennan & Baum LLP
Associate, Mayer Brown LLP
Wisconsin State Public Defenders Office, Trial Division
University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Wisconsin Law Review, Managing Editor
- Trial Team, Captain
- National Champion, A.A.J. National Student Trial Advocacy Tournament
- Finalist, California Attorneys for Criminal Justice National Trial Tournament
- Quarterfinalist, National First Amendment Moot Court Competition
- Habush Habush & Rottier Outstanding Trial Advocacy Award
- Susan R. Steingass Outstanding Trial Advocacy Award
- Dean’s Academic Achievement Award
University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.A., high honors)
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Presidential Fellow, Center for the Study of the Presidency
Bar & Court Admissions
State of Illinois
State of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
Andrew J. Rima
Andrew is a trial lawyer with experience representing major corporations and individuals in sensitive, high-stakes matters. Andrew has significant trial experience in both federal and state trial courts, including first-chair responsibility. He has also managed large discovery teams, deposed key fact and treating physician witnesses, and drafted and won several important dispositive motions. Currently, he works primarily in the areas of products liability and complex commercial litigation.
Earlier in his career, Andrew served as a trial lawyer at the Wisconsin State Public Defender’s Office, spending most of his days inside the courtroom defending individuals accused of a wide range of criminal offenses.
- Recognized as one of Illinois’ Emerging Lawyers in commercial litigation, mass tort defense, and personal injury defense by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
In re K-Dur Antitrust Litigation
Represents Merck in the class action and consolidated opt-out antitrust lawsuits brought by wholesalers and major pharmacy retail chains that directly purchased K-Dur® 20, an extended-release potassium chloride supplement. Plaintiffs claim that a June 1997 patent settlement with a generic maker of K-Dur® 20 was anticompetitive.
Sybron Canada Holdings, Inc. et al. v. Gerald A. Niznick et al.
Represents large dental implant manufacturer in breach of contract and fiduciary duty action pending in New York state court’s Commercial Division involving various disputes with minority members in connection with various agreements.
Galper v. Merck Sharp & Dohme, Corp.
Represented Merck during a bellwether trial involving the medicine Fosamax. After a six-week trial in California state court, the jury returned a complete defense verdict for Merck.
Fortune 15 Company AAA Arbitrations
Represented a Fortune 15 healthcare company in nearly fifty separate AAA arbitrations involving ERISA and Texas insurance law. Secured a complete dismissal of all arbitrations and recovered attorneys' fees and costs.
Spilker v. Medtronic, Inc.
Represented Medtronic, Inc. in a product liability action concerning Medtronic’s Cryocatheter System medical device.
Berg v. Johnson & Johnson, et al.
Represented Imerys Talc America, Inc. in a personal injury case involving ovarian cancer. Court granted summary judgment to Imerys shortly before trial.
Confidential AAA Arbitration
Co-tried a commercial arbitration involving breach of contract claims over complex wind turbine generator (WTG) technology. Obtained favorable arbitration award.
Gilfand et al. v. Planey et al.
Represented two Chicago police officers during a two-week federal jury trial that involved Section 1983 claims of excessive force and failure to intervene. Jury found clients not liable of all federal claims.
State of Wisconsin v. Quaschnik
Lead defense counsel on a felony jury trial in Wisconsin state court. Obtained a complete defense verdict.
State of Wisconsin v. Miller
Co-tried a felony jury trial in Wisconsin state court involving criminal drug charges.
- Represented a high-level executive during a non-public criminal and regulatory investigation involving the construction industry.
- Represented a lending institution during a non-public investigation conducted by the IRS and DOJ.
- Represented a healthcare institution during a non-public investigation conducted by the DOJ involving allegations related to the False Claims Act.